Nutrition: Homemade Black Bean Salsa Demo
Homemade Black Bean Salsa
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of thawed corn kernels
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup of cilantro
- ¼ cup of finely cut red onion
- 1 Tbsp of lime juice
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for a few hours to better incorporate flavors.
- If you prefer a smoother dip consistency versus chunky salsa, place all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Pulse until desired texture and serve.
- Black beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein as well as a source of fiber.
- You can add additional ingredients to this recipe, such as chopped jalapenos, bell peppers, mangos, or avocados.
- Serve this dish on a bed of greens or with tortilla chips, or mixed with brown rice.
Source: Ryan Morrison is a Registered Dietitian for Home Base, a Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Program, where he provides individual nutrition counseling and support to veterans and their families. He has a passion for educating others on the importance of developing healthy eating habits and lifestyles as well as cooking savory, nutritious meals. This recipe was adapted from Straight Up Food Cook Book.