From Our Cookbook to Yours: Allard Family Campfire Brownies
Allard Family Campfire Brownie
There is nothing like cooking over an open fire but we often forget that there are creative and fun options beyond smores when it comes to desserts. Please enjoy our family’s love of the outdoors, open fire and especially brownies infused with fresh orange.
- 6-10 Naval Oranges
- 1 Box of Ghirardelli Chocolate Brownie mix (or personal preference)
- 1/3 cup of water (or follow brownie directions on box)
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil (or follow brownie directions on box)
- 1 egg
- Make a wood fire outside and let burn down to create an even set of hot coals – about 30-60 minutes depending on the size of fire. (do not cook orange brownie while fire is burning hot flames)
- Inside alternative: Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the top 1/5 off of the oranges and set aside.
- Scoop out the inside orange pulp for each orange (note: great to set aside for a smoothie).
- Create brownie mix according to instructions on the box.
- Pour mix into each orange and replace tops back on.
- Using tin foil, wrap each orange with two layers of foil.
- Place in fire coals and cook for at least 45minutes. (oven will take longer at 60 minutes)
- Remove from coals and insert fork or toothpick to make sure brownie is fully cooked.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, unwrap and enjoy!
Source: Michael Allard and his 13-year old daughter, Piper, enjoy being in the outdoors and finding any chance they can to hike, camp, and cook outside (especially desserts!). Michael is also the Chief Operating Officer and one of the original founding staff members of Home Base. Michael and his wife, Jen, along with Piper and her three siblings, and three dogs, live on the Northshore of Massachusetts.